Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Raven in the Redwood Tree

This morning Chuck saw a raven sitting in the top of the redwood tree in the front yard. This is FIRST time we have seen a raven come down near our house!  Yippee!  There is hope.  I had put out some peanuts this morning for the blue jays.  Perhaps the raven saw the nuts in the driveway.  I immediately ran out and put a fresh egg in the platform feeder and some more peanuts too.  On Friday I am going up to Mt. Veeder to visit the ravens up there.  I have been storing up chicken parts in the freezer, so I have treats to take with me.  I will throw in some peanuts as well.  Ravens really like peanuts.  It is so funny to watch the jays inspect the peanuts.  They do just what the ravens do.  They pick up each one and shake it, then they pick the one that they like best.  Can't be too picky when it comes to peanuts.

2 comments:

  1. Check out the Raven Resonations - a visual recording of Ravens in alaska. it's pretty and lovely to listen to!
    http://www.musicofnature.org/home/raven_resonations/

    Glad you saw a Raven at your new home, yes there is hope!

    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raven came back the next day and sat in the redwood tree. It was so exciting that the raven has taken notice of us humans and our offerings of food. I just hope the crows don't run him off.

    ReplyDelete