Saturday, February 6, 2010

There is NOTHING like a RAVEN!

We returned home to the mountains above Napa Valley on February 1.  We drove up the driveway and started unpacking to try and beat the coming rain storm and what did I hear?  The raven call.  Within 20 minutes of our arrival Bold was sitting in the tree scolding us.  This was no ordinary squawking- this was- where have you been, where is my egg, how dare you go off and leave me squawking!!!  As soon as I could I got 2 eggs and put them out on the trail for easy pickup.  Bold and Shy came right away and picked up their eggs and flew off with them.
The next day Bold arrived at 7:30 AM, right on time.  The treat of the day was hunks of cheese.  I put the cheese on the deck railing.  I positioned myself behind the curtain so I could get a really good look at Bold when he came down to get the cheese.  I was shocked to see how BIG Bold is compared to the two crows in Shell Beach.  I didn't realize the relative size difference between the two corvid species.  Bold is really a very beautiful big black bird.  So I sing- There is Nothing like a Raven to the tune of There is nothing like a dame!  It is good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment