Tuesday, November 2, 2010

ATTRACKTING RAVEN- I hope!

,I went on line to find a platform feeder, pole and squirrel guard to implement my plan to attrack a raven.  The goods arrived and Chuck put up the new feeder.  We placed it in the back yard in view of a number of very large trees.  Birds do sit on the top of these trees and can see into our yard very easily.  The first day I put out peanuts in the shell and one raw chicken egg into the platform feeder.  The next day, the peanuts were all gone but the egg remained.  I put out some more peanuts- same result.  The next day Chuck saw and heard a pair of ravens flying overhead.  He was sitting in the backyard reading when they flew over- so there are ravens in the neighborhood.  They were flying fairly high and fast- in a hurry to go somewhere.  So I will be patient?? 
When I lived on Mt. Veeder I put an old chicken egg from the refrigerator out on the ground.  I thought some critter will eat it.  I was looking out the window and saw a raven come down and pick up the egg and fly off with it.  That was my first aquaintance with the wonderful raven.  I think I need to do a dance/incantation or something to bring a raven down to check out the egg at our new locale.  Any suggestions???
Last Sunday there was a great show on Nature called a Murder of Crows.  It was a great show but NOT as neat as the show they did on Ravens- but then I am prejudiced.  I do have my band of crows coming each morning for peanuts.  They are funny birds.  I think they are getting used to me and know that I am the purveyor of peanuts.  The Nature show described how crows do recognize human faces.  They did some experiments to show that was true. So I may be known to a whole murder of crows in the near future! I don't put the nuts out until I hear the crows out front.  If I put them out too early, then the blue jays get all the peanuts.  The bluejays are much more aggressive at retrieving the nuts.  All those corvids are just the bees knees- aren't they??

No comments:

Post a Comment