Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Where did they go?

Well here it is the New Year in the flatlands.  All is well and the sun is shining.  Chuck was outside and saw two ravens flying overhead.  He came and called to me.  We hurried back out the door nearly getting stuck as we both went through the door at the same time!  Alas and alack, they had flown away.  No stopping for the lonely egg that resides on the platform feeder.  Yesterday I heard a pair of ravens having a conversation but I could not locate them.  My good binoculors got lost in the move so I must get a new pair so I can see the birds.  The spotting scope is too large to haul around for a quick look.  My bird feeder area in front of my sewing window is very busy.  I have a black oil sunflower tube feeder, a suet feeder and a niger sock out there.  A very pretty woodpecker comes to the suet feeder.  I am not sure what kind it is- I was so used to the piliated woodpeckers up on the mountain.  Now I have this pretty little guy.  The gold finches are here eating the niger seeds.  The sunflower seeds attract the chickadees and the red breasted and the white breasted nuthatches.  The nuthatches also go for the suet.  I also saw a tit mouse the other day.
My most enjoyment comes from the scrub jays.  I began by putting peanuts in the shell out on the driveway to attract the ravens or the crows.  The crows came but were too slow and would only get about half of the peanuts because the jays would dive in and pick up the nuts right in front of them.  I never did see a raven come for a nut.  So sad.  So I figured if the jays liked the nuts so much I would see if they would come closer to the house.  I began to put the nuts on the railing of the porch.  Bingo-they came and got the nuts off the railing.  NOW- when I get up in the morning, there is a jay sitting on the railing waiting for breakfast!  How soon they learn who the bird lovers are.  They are so funny- just like the ravens.  They pick up each nut and shake it.  They want to get the BIGGEST and BEST one.  Then they go and hide the nut in the ivy under the redwood trees.  Then they are back for another nut- lickity split.  I wonder if they ever retrieve the hidden nuts?   I will have to watch and see if I can see them retrieve one.  So life goes on with or without a friendly raven- but I have not given up the quest.  I may have to find a pair over in the open space and walk over there most days with a food treat.  I can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment