Friday, November 20, 2009

Bodega Bay Ravens- Ravens all around

We were gone for a few days to Bodega Bay and of course I was on the look out for my favorite birds.  Down at Doran Beach I heard the raven call!  There was a pair of ravens in the stand of big dark pine trees near the parking lot.   The beach was separated from the trees by a sand dune which was about 50 wide.  The ravens were difficult to see because the trees were so thick and dark.  Once my eyes got used to looking at the trees I could finally see the two ravens sitting close together doing their canoodling thing.  I decided to see if I could get them to come down to the ground so that I could get a better look at them.  There were some oatmeal raisin cookies in the car so I went and got two cookies.  As I was walking back to the stand of trees, I was surrounded by seagulls.  They were no dummies= they saw food in my hand and wanted it very badly.  As soon as I passed from the beach, over the sand dune to the area under the trees- the seagulls disappeared.  The distance was very short but the seagulls would not go near the trees.  It was very interesting that despite their desire for the food, they would not go near the trees. 
The raven pair watched my approach.  I held the cookies up over my head so that they could see them clearly.  I then placed them on the ground and backed away to see what they would do.  One raven came down immediatly to check it out.  He did the look at it- jump forward- jump back to see if it was alive- look it over but I never saw the bird pick the cookie up.  I stood over by the parking lot for sometime watching the ravens. The first raven down then flew back up in the trees.  The second raven began its approach- jumping from higher branch to lower branch all the time keeping an eye on me. I was distracted by a man with 2 bigs dogs and when I looked back both ravens were in the tree.  At this point I walked back over to where I put the cookies and they were both GONE!  So the ravens got the cookies when I wasn't looking!!   It was fun to have a raven adventure away from home.
 Bold and Shy should be arriving this morning at 7:30 AM  by the clock and will probably be disgusted since I have been gone and no food appeared for a couple of days.   The ravens don't care about that- they come at the same hour as always and are ready to see what is on the menu today.

No comments:

Post a Comment