Sunday, November 15, 2009

Ravens All Around

Yesterday morning the ravens came at their usual time- 6:30 AM- to see what treat I had in store for their culinary pleasure.  I put out two eggs for the first time in a week.  This time I put the eggs on the ground at the end of the path near the door instead of in the flower box on the deck railing.   Both ravens were sitting in the redwood tree watching me as I walked along the path with the eggs held over my head.  I called to them- here are your eggs ravens and if you take them up on the roof to eat them you are in BIG trouble!  Bold was the first to pick up an egg and fly off down the valley- then Shy picked one up and followed Bold down the valley.  So they got the hint-  smart ravens!!  They are such a sight- flying with a chicken egg in their beaks!  I never tire of seeing them pick up an egg and fly off with it.

Later that morning we went downtown to see the high school band review.  Thirty high school bands from Northern California were strutting their stuff on the streets of Old Napa Town.  We sat near the band stand review station so that we could see them perform.  It was quite a sight and we liked the Fairfield High band with the bagpipes the best- however my alma mater- Napa High School wasn't too shabby!  But hark- what did I hear but a RAVEN call amid all the band sounds.  I looked up and there was a raven perched on top of a very large tree in front of the old court house!

About two years ago we were having lunch downtown and noticed a pair of ravens flying in and out of this very same tree.  On further inspection we could see a nest near the top of this tree.  The ravens were flying in and out of the tree- bringing food to their babies.  So it seems there is a resident raven pair in downtown Napa who have alot of RAVEN FUN watching the human antics on the streets of Old Napa Town!

No matter where I go in my travels, my ear is tuned to the sound of the raven call.   It does my heart good to know that these birds are able to survive in so many different environments and that there are Ravens All Around!

No comments:

Post a Comment