Monday, September 6, 2010

Could I Learn to Love a CROW?

I have seen nary a raven at my new location except for one raven flying overhead.  The raven was flying very high and fast- going somewhere but NOT here.  I do however have a band of noisy crows.  I noticed these crows stalking around as soon as I moved in.  They come in the morning and stalk around the yards of all the houses on the court looking for food.  So I went off and bought two gigantic bags of peanuts.  We now have a morning routine.  When I wake up I go outside and put the peanuts under the redwood trees with one raw chicken egg.  The scrub jays show up immediately to grab as many peanuts as they can before the crows know what is happening.  The crows are very cautious.  They sit in the trees looking at the peanuts for awhile before they fly down to get the food.  Meanwhile the jays are busy at work getting as many peanuts as possible before the crows make their move.  Eventually the crows fly down one by one to claim a peanut or two.  By this time most of the nuts are gone.  It is fun to watch the crows as they have many of the same mannerisms as their big cousins.  They land on the ground, then they jump forward toward the food- then jump back- forward and back until they grab a peanut.  The jays will not come down once the crows are on the ground.  At this point I go out and replenish the peanut supply so that the crows get their share of the morning's booty.  The crows will peck and eat the egg once the nuts are all gone.
The other day I was out working in front yard planting an angle's trumpet (datura) and I heard what sounded like a high pitched knocking sound.   I looked up and it was a crow.  I didn't know they made such a sound!  He was looking at me and knocking- wow!  I might like crows yet!  But love- hum- after raven there is no other.
Apparently Lindsey Wildlife Rescue has a juvenile blind raven who is looking for a long term home.  Ah wouldn't it be wonderful to have a raven in your life?  It apparently will go to a home out of state.  It is very difficult to keep a wild animal in California, as is everything in California.  One has to get a special PERMIT- oh could take years to get one I am sure.  Anyhow- someone will have a special bird in their life.  Apparently the bird is friendly and is hand fed.  I hope whoever gets the bird is young as they live a good 35 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment