Saturday, September 22, 2012

KNOCKING CROWS

Today was the crow family's lucky day.  I made chicken soup for my daughter's family yesterday since they were under the weather.  I saved all the chicken fat and brought it home for the crows.  So today they had a gourmet meal of chicken fat, peanuts in the shell, left over cat food kibbles and 2 old chicken eggs.  A veritable FEAST for crows.  There were 8 crows at one time trying to get on the platform feeder.  Some had to hang out on the rose arbor and wait their turn.  When they had cleaned up the food most of the crows flew away.  BUT- one crow stayed behind in the big valley oak tree next door.  Chuck and I were sitting under a live oak tree in the backyard having our lunch - hark what did I hear???  A knocking crow.  The ravens on Mt. Veeder knocked and clacked all the time but I had never heard the crow do it like he was doing it today.  He was knocking and clacking and really going to it.  I loved it!!  I kept talking to him- hey Mr. Crow- I like your knocking etc.  I think he likes it when I talk to him.  This is the crow that recognizes me.  The one who looks like he was in a fight since he is missing some feathers.  Maybe all the good food caused him to knock and clack!  How fun it was for me to hear.  I think I will have to get another crow banquet together.  I can see chicken soup in my future- maybe tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment