Tuesday, October 2, 2012

CROWS ON THE ATTACK

This morning I was out gardening early because it is going to be hot today.  I was working in what will be my Alice In Wonderland garden corner.  Then there started up such a crow racket!  There were 4 crows in the top of the redwood trees cawing at maximum pitch.  I thought it was because of the lack of peanuts in the feeding tray but no, the tray had peanuts.  HUM- then I saw the problem.  A very large hawk with a white breast had settled into the top of a redwood tree.  The crows started diving at the hawk.  I mean they were flying straight at the hawk and only veered off at the last minute.  One after another they did this manuever.  Finally the hawk did a dive right to my bird feeder for the finches and he grabbed one.  I could not believe it.  Wow- he was fast in flight.  He got his prey and took off.  The crow noise then subsided and all was quiet in the garden.  Nature is wonderful and terrible to watch.  It is amazing what one can see in a suburban garden.
Next week I will be going up to Mt. Veeder to visit the ravens, Bold and Shy.  Our Hill and Dale Club is donating $1,000 to the Enchanted Hills camp for the blind.  The camp is located across the way from my former home on Mt. Veeder.  This is Bold and Shy's territory, so a visit with goodies to eat is in store.  I look forward to seeing them in their habitat.

2 comments:

  1. I can hear Ravens while I read this! Today I saw a Cooper's hawk fly into the thick of the cottonwood trees on the creek. I got my binoculars on him just as he zoomed off up the creek. I'm sure she had her eye on some lunch.
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you lucky person, raven song to hear!! I have about given up having a raven come to my back yard. There are too many crows- but crows are interesting too.Andree

      Delete