Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mouse Day

Oh the ravens love mouse day.  This would be a day when we catch a mouse who has the temerity to invade my art studio and to lounge among my finished goods.  So today a dead mouse was on the menu.  This is recycling in my mind.  I do like to live and let live with nature BUT they eat the labels off the wine bottles and chew on my cards.  Why do they do that?  There are so many more delicious things to eat outside!!

However- BOLD raven was delighted with the prospect of mouse for breakfast.  He flew down, scooped it up and was gone.  Shy got left out of the feast as usual, even though Shy was here first sitting in the redwood tree.  Shy is really Shy.  Bold came back after taking the mouse away, so I put out two eggs so they each had a treat.  Bold really seems to like it when I talk to him.  As long as I am outside and talking to him- he stays around to see what the crazy human will do next.  Perhaps another mouse will appear?

It is a beautiful day.  The camellias are in full bloom and the daffodils are holding their golden heads up to the sun.  It coudn't be better.  Andy the cat is lounging in the window in the sun and all is right with the world.  I filled up the thistle feeder sock for the first time this year and within 4 hours the gold finches had appeared.  They are hanging all over the sock having a thistle feast.  I have been throwing black oil sunflower seeds on the ground near the kitchen door.  There is a squirrel out there right now and 2 rufous sided towhees feeding on the seeds.  A whole covey of quail come each afternoon to pick up seeds.  It is just great to see all the wildlife.  What I can't understand is why the mice prefer labels and cards instead of sunflower seeds????
Go figure.

2 comments:

  1. I found your site last week and love it. It's taken me this long to comment becuase I was trying to figure out how to. I love hearing about your ravens! There are huge ravens where I live and I love watching them. Have a couple of friends who are particularly attached to ravens too. Fabulous smart birds. Keep writing please. I enjoy hearing what the ravens are doing today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer. I do enjoy the ravens so much. When they look at you, you know there is a thinking being behind those eyes who is trying to figure out how to get something or have some fun.

    ReplyDelete