Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Hungry Hungry Ravens

With the weather turning so cold the raven's appetites have ratcheted up.  The thermometer has been sitting at 30 degrees and the ravens have been sitting in the redwood trees awaiting food delivery service- that would be me!  They have staying near the house the last two very cold days as I suppose it is easier to look sad for me and get food then flying around looking for an elusvie food source!  There have been alot of dead gray squirrels on the road lately but I do not see a raven feeding on them.  I wonder why.  I don't understand squirrels- they often run toward the car when frightened instead of running away from the danger.  Of course they don't have a big brain like ravens do.
The special cold weather treat for ravens has been manteca- lard on bread.  Boy do they love that!  Fat is what they like plus the usual raw chicken eggs.  I have to watch them now when they pick up their eggs.  If they are headed toward the roof I do my manic act, jump up and down and yell.  They don't like that very much and fly off in a huff- too bad for bad ravens. 
I refilled the hummingbird feeders and they have been a very busy local.  There are still some red salvia flowers blooming, but not many.  The hummers really like the red tubular flowers. The hummers need a little hit of sugar from the feeders first thing in the morning and then just before dusk.  The rest of the time they appear to be out and about looking for natural food.  There is a little Western Wood Peewee that makes a lot of racket everytime I go out to the woodpile for a stick of wood. I wonder what he is on about.  Isn't nature grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment