Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Very Raven Christmas

Chirstmas was very Merry for the ravens and for ME!  My family has got the message (knock, knock, click, click, clunk) that I like RAVENS= and came through with the raven goods!  I received a very cool raven tee-shirt, a personalized tea mug with the name Raven Maven on it and a picture of a perching raven AND a big raven puppet from the National Park Service Store!  I now have 2 raven puppets and plan to put on a puppet show for the ravens as soon as the fog clears out.

The ravens received a very bountiful largess of phenomenal proportions- a set of prime rib bones complete with lots of fat, as a gift from family members.  I saw raven sitting in the redwood tree so I put out a large hunk of meat and fat. I then went inside and was peeking through the drapes to see what Bold would do.  Bold saw me and gave me the raven eye.  (the raven eye is a bright and shiny eye that takes you in and says- I know what you are up to)  Bold  then came down to the deck railing to get the treat.  Bold  jumped around, forward and back a few times and THEN- he picked up the whole piece in his beak and flew off with it with Shy following right behind.  It made me think that raven could pick up a whole rat if the occassion arose for such a necessity.

We went to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie the day after Christmas since I have been a Sherlock fan for many years.  The director of the movie incorporated ravens into many of the movie scenes.   He utilized the raven as a necrological  apparition-announcing a death.  The only problem with all this necrological nonsense was that the ravens had a CROW'S voice.!  No great croak, or knock or click or clank- just a plain ole CAW!  Pishaw- a perfectly poised remonstration- from 1895!  I got it straight from my grandmother who was born in 1895- pishaw for crow's voices for ravens.  For those lexicographers in the group:
Pishaw is derived from PISH- to make an exclamation of disgust!
A thing which causes many poohs and pishes, And several oaths!  Byron
Grandmother and I are in good company!

No comments:

Post a Comment