Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Flying and Soaring

The four ravens are soaring and flying up our little valley all day long.  They appear to be having a very good time.  They are continuing to fly with sticks in their beaks and I can see the tree they are flying into from my house.  However when I walk down to the location where I think the tree is- I can't tell which tree it is.  It is a very tall redwood tree.  I think I will have to camp out down there until I see a raven with a stick fly into the tree.  This seems very late for nest building.  In past years there have been baby ravens making alot of noise by early June.  It has been a very cold Spring- maybe that is the reason.  Yesterday morning it was 39 degrees- this morning it is 53 degrees- such large temperture swings.  We have not put out any tomato plants yet- it is too darn cold!
There have been alot of workmen up here lately and I know this has disturbed the ravens.  Pacific Gas and Electric has had workmen up here trimming the trees under the power lines.  The ravens do not like all the noise of the power equipment. They are very wary of strangers and stay away when work is going on.  They are also very wary of strange vehicles.  They knew my Toyota Camry and used to follow my car up the long driveway when I would arrive home.  However that is the car that burned up for no apparent reason, so they don't do that anymore.
I have been putting two raw chicken eggs out at the end of the path each day and watch as the ravens come in and pick them up and fly off with them.  I still get a thrill to see them flying with that white orb in their beaks. 
I woke up early this morning and it sounded like an owl convention.  The great horned owls were calling back and forth- back and forth.  Then a piliated woodpecker started pounding away.  Nature at its best!

1 comment:

  1. We had a good number of owls on our creek too (well, lots ofeverything this spring) - in four miles of creek I counted 1 golden eagle nest (they started but failed), 3 GHO nests, 2 long-eared owls nests (though I'm sure there were many more), 2 Raven nests (one ended sadly: http://theequestrianvagabond.blogspot.com/2010/06/raven-tale.html) 2 red-tailed hawk nests. We had screech owls too, but I never found a nest!
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete