Sunday, May 16, 2010

Happy Roll Day

Yesterday the ravens had a happy ROLL day.  I was responsible for cooking jambalaya for 65 people and serving it the other night.  We also had rolls for dinner and there were a zillion left over- so I brought them home- good raven food.  They like ROLLS.  I put a bunch out and here came Bold and Shy for the pickup.  They got all the rolls.  They must be caching them somewhere.  Later in the day I saw the hawk chasing the ravens again.  I think it is a red tailed hawk as I could see the sun on its tail and it shone a beautiful red color.  What is a red tailed hawk doing up here?  They are usually in more open countryside.  I suppose the vineyards could be open enough land for them to hunt.
Yesterday was a momentous day for my 12 year old cat!  He caught a mouse- I couldn't believe it!  He brought it right in to show me.  What a present!  Old Andy Cat still is a mouser after all these years.
The ravens are still collecting sticks and building a nest in the tall redwood tree.  I think for fun today I will walk the forest and pick up a bunch of sticks of the appropriate size and put them in a pile where I usually place the raven food.  Then I will watch to see if they select any of the sticks for their nest.  If they do I will have the satifaction of helping with the nest building!
This morning I can hear the ravens call but have not seen them flying.  It is very foggy outside and they have not come around as of yet.  Ms. Turkey is here eating birdseed off the ground.  Mr. Bad Squirrel is here.  He is sitting on the raven's spot on top of the sawed off redwood tree trunk- looking in at me.   He is so bold we call him bad squirrel as he likes to chew on wood that is part of the house. With all the wood around here why does he have to chew on that particular board???
When the fog burns off it will be a beautiful day in the Napa Valley.  Such a delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment