Friday, May 14, 2010

The OWL and the Ravens

Yesterday was quite the raven day.  I put out the two raw chicken eggs in the early morning.  Bold and Shy flew in and sat on a redwood tree branch right over the eggs.  They sat very close together and appeared to be conferring.  They reminded me of Heckle and Jeckle from the old cartoon- remember that one- 2 smart crows?  I was enjoying the raven conference when some workmen arrived- the bane of my raven observations.  The ravens flew away but they came back later to collect the eggs.
Later that day I saw the raven pair beetling down the air space over the driveway with a very large owl on their tails!  What had the ravens been up to?  Do you think they possibily tried to steal an egg out of an owl's nest?  This was a great horned owl who was very mad!
Later that day we observed the raven pair bringing twigs into a particular spot near the top of a redwood tree.  There certainly is nest building going on there.  We have set up the spotting scope to try and observe the activity.  It is interesting to note that during this last week we have only seen the one pair of ravens.  Perhaps the other pair have moved on to a place without competition.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear your ravens are coming back for breakfasts at your house. Maybe they started again when the other ravens moved on?

    I envy your dramatic owl spotting. I heard owls calling close to my house yesterday morning and when I got up they were in a tree just up the hill from me. One flew as I looked but the other stayed a bit longer. I thought I was staring at the back of its head until I realized that it was staring at me. Such a stern look. GLad I'm not a mouse. As the second flew I saw that it had something in its claws (talons?) and I think maybe it was a crow. Oh well. Lots of those. Definitely not big enough for a raven. Maybe a robin.

    I was thrilled because I sometimes hear owls but I just about never see them! I think if your ravens messed around with eggs in an owl's nest they're definitely made of stronger stuff than me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered one of the GHO nests on our creek because 2 Ravens (whose nest was not 50 yards away from theirs) were harrassing a GHO on its nest!
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete