Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ravens in Sonoma

Yesterday morning early we were sitting out on the deck and our two ravens flew into a tree over our heads.  They were sitting on a branch right next to each other and were canoodling.  They were making their sweet little noises and holding each other beaks.  It was such a sight to see.  Just as we were enjoying this peaceful scene, some workmen arrived and the ravens flew off.  We continue to see four ravens flying around the house and are not sure what is going on in the raven community.  Bold is not coming each morning for food like he done for the last five years.  Something has disrupted the whole pattern.  I am truly sad about the change.
Yesterday afternoon we went over to Sonoma Valley to the Gundlach-Bundshu Winery.  My friend had won their poetry contest so we went to the winery to collect her prizes (BIG bottles of wine) and to taste their estate wines.  It was a beautiful day.  Chuck went outside after tasting wine and came back in and told me there were ravens flying around outside.  So out I went in search of ravens.  I sat on the rock wall and here came a big raven.  I called to him and he landed near me.  He was so cute- hopping and skipping all around.  He was tasting the olives that had fallen from the trees.  He didn't seem to care for the olives very much.  We were sitting there admiring each other when a worker came out of the winery door- WOW- he said- what a big black bird!  He said that he had never seen such a bird in all his life.  I told him it was a raven.  I was thinking then how unobservant people are.  The Gundlach-Bundshu Winery is located just about 2 miles from the Ravenswood Winery.  It is called Ravenswood because of the presence of many RAVENS in the area.  The winery logo is a very fine design of a circle of ravens.  How could it be that a person working in this locale had never noticed the big black birds?  Perhaps he had never looked up to heed the raven's call.  Perhaps he will be more observant after this- a good thing.  A fine day was had in Sonoma- the Valley of the Moon.

4 comments:

  1. As a member of the Raven Clan and one who lives among the Raven People, I've really enjoyed finding your blog. I don't post exclusively about them, but if you search EcoRover for "Raven" I'm sure you'll find a few good accounts of the local gang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be missing your morning visits so much. I bet once things settle down, either with a nest or with the other ravens around, you'll become the local takeout again.

    I have been rushing lately and not in front of my computer much but I keep thinking of your ravens. This morning there was one calling when I woke up, which was lovely, and my daughter went to sleep to the calls of an owl last night. I bet you hear those too.

    Last week I was watching a crow in a parking lot, daintily dipping a piece of bread into a puddle as if it was the most gourmet meal in the world.

    I am constantly looking out and seeing a raven flying back and forth with something in his or her beak so I think I better start paying attention to see where he goes and figure out if there's a nest nearby.

    Keep writing, I so enjoy reading your blog!

    jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to EcoRover and searched for raven and was happy to find several accounts of raven and his antics. Glad to know that they have a home in Butte, Montana where they have the big sky.
    Andree

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how can anybody not notice Ravens!?!?!?
    I have a bottle of Ravenswood chardonnay sitting in my kitchen right now!
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete