Thursday, June 3, 2010

Raven comes a knocking

Raven was up in the tree knocking this morning for the morning treat.  I did not feel like getting up so the raven had to wait for me to roll out of bed and deliver breakfast.  Lamb chop bones and chicken eggs this morning.  My neighbors have told me that the raven pair have been spending alot of time down in the their vineyard below their house rooting around in the weeds.  There must be something to eat down in that vineyard- what could it be?  I have only seen one pair of ravens in our valley the last two weeks.  I wonder where the other pair went and whether the pair that remains is Bold and Shy.  The remaining  pair do not seem to have the same personalities or habits as Bold and Shy.  It is a RAVEN mystery.  Perhaps Bold and Shy got displaced?  The other possibility is that so many people and cars have been coming and going that it has disturbed the ravens.  Yesterday Pacific Gas and Electric was here with a truck to change out our two electric meters with Smart Meters- which translates to higher bills I am sure.  I wish I knew the answer to the raven mystery.
Mr. Fox was here last evening about 6 PM.  He is not afraid of us- just sort of looks at me when I open the door and look out.  He scouts all the places where I feed the ravens to see if anything is left.  We have so many grosbeaks this year.  They have such a lovely song and come to the black oil sunflower seed feeders.  I have to fill the seed feeders and the hummingbird feeders every day.  Mr. Bad Squirrel is up to his tricks- hanging on the seed feeders trying to figure out how to get the seeds.  Usually he ends up dumping the whole works on the ground and sometimes dragging the feeder off into the bunches.  I end up under the camellia bushes searching for the feeders.   It is so much fun to watch the wildlife that I don't mind their antics.
It is a foggy morning in Napa Valley.  The sun is out up here on the mountain but we can look out and see the fog down in the valley.  It looks like a big fluffy blanket.  It will be a beautiful day.  Time to fill the feeders!

1 comment:

  1. I woke up to the calling of ravens and remembered its garbage day. Doesn't sound all that nice, does it. But they definitely know their days of the week and pretty much any can they want to open they'll figure out.

    Isn't that weird about your two. I wonder if they could be off watching over a nest somewhere and not coming by in their regular way?

    Here it's been damp a lot, and the swallows are around but they haven't settled down into the nest they use by my front door so I'm hoping they're waiting to lay eggs till the weather is a bit warmer. Several years they lost babies when the weather was too wet to be out catching flies I think. Always very very sad. Last year I refused to get attached to them and they all grew up and flew but there always seemed to be one still hanging around the nest, I thought it was just the one who never likes to leave home, but eventually I realized that there was a new batch of babies and this batch really wormed their way into my heart big time. I think there were four or so and they were so calm and curious. Every time I got out of my car they'd just stare down at me quietly, and there was a wasp nest nearby and they would stare across t the wasps coming and going, so intent and curious. One day I came out and they were all staring down at a little lizard strolling past. Just sweet natured little things. I was sad to see them go but was grateful they all made it. This year the couple was talking away to me one day, telling me some long story, and I wondered if it was the parents from last year or if one of the babies could be ready to parent. I wonder when 8 or 9 babies all get raised in a nest (2 batches) who gets the rights to it the next year, never mind the original parents. Anyways hopefully whoever was working on it will hold off a little longer till the weather comes on board. And the fabulous ravens will continue to stay away from this nest. I love them but I keep seeing them fly past with things in their beaks and I often have the feeling that if I could see those things up close I'd see fur or feathers. Yuck.

    Rambling on. Do love birds. :)

    ReplyDelete