Thursday, June 24, 2010

Saying goodby to Bold

Yesterday, my last day at Redwood House, I sat on the deck overlooking the Napa Valley and listened to all of the bird sounds.  It was a cacophony of sounds as it was a beautiful day and all the birds were singing.  I could hear the chesnut backed chickadees, the piliated woodpecker pounding on a telephone pole, the quail making their special little sounds, the bluejays and their raucous calls and the grosbeaks with their lovely songs.  About this time, Bold raven showed up!  He sat over my head on a redwood tree branch and started his showing off routine.  He was dipping his head and croaking.  The feathers on his head were all fluffed out and he was bringing his wings up to his shoulders.  It was a perfect send off!  He was full of energy and having a good time.  I was having a good time too watching him go through his raven show off routine.  Then he flew over to another tree and started pulling bacon strips out of a tree crevice.  I had put bacon out the day before.  He must have cached it in the tree crevice and now came back to eat some.  How I will miss the raven antics and the raven sounds as background music to my day.   I just hope I can find another pair of ravens at my new home.  Ravens are in evidence all over the Napa Valley so I think I stand a good chance.  I am thinking positive about this as I do seem to attrack wildlife.  I will put out a couple of raw chicken eggs and see what happens as this is how I found Bold and Shy initially.
Tomorrow we are meeting with the 2 ladies that bought our house to show them how to work the drip irrigation system and all the other systems required in the country.   They are interested in the wildlife and I wll tell them all about the ravens.  The ravens will be fine as they have other admirers up on Mt. Veeder who will look after their welfare.  I will be visiting periodically to see friends we have made on Mt. Veeder and will look for Bold and Shy and hope to get a glimpse of them.  I did see a western wood peewee yesterday- that was a great thing to see as I very rarely get to see one of those- a going away present I said to myself.
As for now we are staying in Concord at our daughter's house.  She is in Hawaii and we are taking care of her 2 dogs and cat with our old cat Andy in tow.  She has a boxer puppy- talk about WILD life- he got my purse- dumped it out and was eating my cell phone when I caught him at it.  BAD DOG!!  We will return to Napa Valley when our new house is available.  Meanwhile I am looking for Concord ravens and know just where to go.  I am taking along a couple of raw eggs and will report on my raven success!

No comments:

Post a Comment