Monday, June 21, 2010

What alot of Raven Racket

The ravens have been getting lots of treats this past week as I clean out the refrigerator.  Today I put out 5 eggs and a pound of bacon- bacon and eggs for breakfast!!!  This was all well and good until the movers arrived- 6 guys and two trucks.  Now the ravens got really annoyed because they don't like to come down and get the food when there are strangers or unknown vehicles around.  So they sat in the trees above the food and made raven racket for several hours.  They finally gave up and went down by their redwood tree hangout where their nest is located.  Chuck and I then went out on the deck to have a little picnic lunch and to admire the view across the valley for one last time.  While we were sitting there, the two ravens began flying back and forth over our heads, flying in tandem- quite an aerial display.  They did a few rolls also- showing off for us I want to believe.  Ravens do like to have fun!  I so enjoy hearing their raven talk in the trees.  I have been listening to them for five years now so that I know most of their sounds and more of less what the sounds indicate- a good mood, a bad mood, annoyed, friendly, curious, or angry.  I really hope there will be ravens at my new home.  The new home is near a creek and has big redwood trees so I think I stand a good chance.  There are open vineyard lands nearby which is very similar to the Mt. Veeder landscape except for the lower altitude.  We will now be located in the valley instead of in the western hills of the Napa Valley.  I will miss the hills for their beauty but will not miss the hard winters, hauling wood, sliding roads, power outages, downed trees and torrential rains.  It has all been good and quite an adventure but we are getting too old for all this excitement!!  We are going to stay with our daughter Lexy in Concord, CA until our new house is available.  I found a raven pair over in Concord near the swimming pool where Chuck likes to swim laps- so I can get my raven fix and hear some raven sounds.  Maybe I will take a couple of eggs along and see what happens!!  Wherever I go I search the skies for ravens and they really are found in all types of terrain.  I doubt I will ever have the opportunity to communicate and get to know a raven pair like Bold and Shy again.  Sad for me.  I think that it had been a very special occurance but if it hadn't been for them I would never have developed such an interest in ravens and had so much raven enjoyment.  So I thank them for letting me enter their world for a short time.

1 comment: