Friday, June 18, 2010

What are those crows doing here?

Yesterday as I was packing in the garage I heard crows calling.  Crows on Mt. Veeder?  I have never in 16 years heard a crow up here.  I think they must have heard about the food supply and flown up from the valley.  We took a break from packing the other day and sat by the creek and listened to the ravens.  They were in the trees above watching what the humans were doing below.  They were very interested and were talking among themselves making all the usual raven sounds.  I love to hear the ravens talk!  I have high hopes for our new house as it has very large redwood trees and is near a creek- so can a raven be far away?
The new owners of our mountain retreat are very interested in the birds and what to feed them and the plants and how to care for them, so I am feeling very positive that the land will be left in good hands. 
The other night as we drove home we saw a fox jump into a ditch by the side of the road and then a fawn got in front of our car and was running up the road until it finally jumped to the side.  I will miss these wildlife sightings which have been so much of our everyday life up here on the mountain.  I will miss the ravens following my car up the driveway when I arrive home from shopping.  They are so nosey- want to know where I have been and did I bring any snacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment