Friday, April 23, 2010

Cacophony of ravens in the Sequoia Gigantia

The Mayacamus Mountains where the raven pair live is located between the Napa Valley and the Sonoma Valley of the Moon.  The rainfall on the Napa side of the ridge line is very heavy and thus the occurance of Coast Redwood trees.  This area was stripped of trees at the turn of the century to rebuild San Francisco which had been destroyed by an earthquake and fire.  Thus the coast redwood trees are less than 100 years old.  Some are very large because they grow fast.  BUT- the loggers left one very large tree standing  and it is located behind my house.  It is a 2000 year old Sequoia Gigantia- the giant redwood tree variety of colossal stature.  It is quite a sight to see and many people get married under the tree.   This morning I went outside as dawn was approaching and I heard a cacophony of ravens up in the crown of the Sequoia.  I have heard this before but have not gone outside to see what the commotion was all about.  As I watched 4 ravens came shooting out of the crown of the tree reminding me of the formation flying of the Blue Angels when they split off from a formation and go in four different directions.  Wow- it was quite a sight.  I believe it must be four juveniles who roost there overnight and fly out in the morning.  We have seen Bold and Shy up there in past years teaching the babies to fly but I believe it is too early for that.  Bold has not appeared this morning- he is late- where is that bird???  I need some raven company this morning!  We are off to set up for the Scottish Games this morning and I have plenty of handmade raven jewelry to sell- those birds have been my inspiration and my muse.
As I look outside the mountain pigeons have arrived.  Some people call them band tailed pigeons.  They are very lovely birds- very skittish.  They like the black oil sunflower seeds I put out each day.  If the ravens can't find anything else they prefer to eat they will scarf up a few and scare all the other birds away!  Although they have a tough time with Mr. Aggressive Squirrel who also likes the seeds.  Mr. Squirrel ignores raven and so raven pulls the squirrel's tail when his back is turned.  This is great fun to watch.  Raven pulls the tail and then backs up when squirrel turns around and charges at him.  Squirrel turns around, raven does it again.  It is true- RAVENS JUST LIKE TO HAVE FUN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment