Monday, April 26, 2010

Raven Happenings

I was at the Scottish Games this weekend and forgot to put out food for the raven before I left early Saturday morning.  This was not a good thing.  Bold noticed that there were no victuals available so he began a program of aggravating Chuck.  Bold flew in front of the window many times so he could be seen.  That didn't work- no food appeared.  So- big mistake- Bold went on the roof and began POUNDING with his beak.  This was not a good plan.  Chuck went up on the roof to see if any damage had occured and none was seen.  This however did not endear Bold and he got NO food.
Next Chuck noticed the four juvenile ravens in a dog fight in front of the large windows.  One raven had something in his beak and the other three ravens wanted it.  There occured much swooping and diving and barrel rolling.  I missed seeing this exhibition however I saw a few exhibitions of the raven kind at the Scottish Games.
A woman came by my booth all dressed up in Elizabethan costume.  The remarkable thing was that she had one of the big raven puppets like I have attached to her hand.  BUT- this raven puppet was all dressed up.  It had on a kilt complete with accouterments such as a sporan and a very fancy crown!  I want a raven like that to show to Bold.  Then a man came by with a red pith helmet on his head.  He had a lifelike raven figure on top of the pith helmut.  How cool was that?  All in all it was a good raven time at the Scottish Games.  It just goes to show that there are several raven nuts in the neighborhood!
It is 7:02 AM and I better go out and put out some raw chicken eggs for the ravens or there maybe raven trouble today in river city!

2 comments:

  1. I think that's very cool how raven lovers seem to find each other. Some sixth sense.

    And your husband is very brave. Personally I wouldn't want to infuriate a raven. They're just too curious and smart!

    Are the ravens by you very big? Here they are as big as a medium cat I would say. When they've knocked over a garbage can and I drive past I slow down to give them the eye -- I don't know, am I trying to make them feel bad????? -- they just stare back at me with a ho hum, keep moving lady, sort of stare, and that's when I really get to see how huge they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the ravens are big here but not as big as they are in Alaska. Now there are some really BIG ravens. I got close to a few when we were up there and I was amazed at their size. They were very unperturbed by my presence, being used to tourists I suppose. Also their call was different. They made a bell like sound I have not ever heard from ravens in California.

    ReplyDelete