Thursday, April 15, 2010

What a Difference a Day Makes!

It is sunny and lovely outside.  The daffodils are lifting their heads once again.  The camellias are in bloom and the Japanese maples are coming out. 

The other morning when I got up and went outside to check the rain gauge I heard the rumble of what I thought was an earth mover.  After listening for awhile I realized the vineyard fans were on= wow in April.  The fans all over the valley must have been on for the noise to travel up to 1600 feet to our house.  Truly amazing for April.  The bud break has occurred on the vines and the growers cannot afford to have freezing temperatures affect the tender buds.  Being a grape farmer has all sorts of hazards.  Have to have good grapes for that Napa Valley wine.

We went over to Bodega Bay for a couple of days for a change of scene.  Put out a goodly amount of food for Bold and Shy before we took off.  Went to Doran's Beach to look up the two ravens who cajoled me out of my lunch on my last visit.  I went to the cypress and pine grove by the dunes where I last encountered them.  I did not see or hear them.  Looked up at their nest and no one was home.  So I found a spot along the beach and made myself comfortable.  What did I HEAR??  Ravens- yes they were coming.  It is interesting to note that this raven pair has a higher pitched vocalization than Bold and Shy. 

Well we looked each other over and I put out some crackers.  They were down in a NY minute and so I had a visit with the Bodega Bay ravens.  The ravens after eating flew off toward Bodega Head and were seen no more.  It is nice to visit wildlife when one is out and about.

This morning Bold was here at 7 AM.  Bold is reverting to his usual schedule now that the rain has stopped.
I haven't seen Shy lately.  I am still wondering if they are nesting this year.  Chuck said he saw 4 ravens flying around in the sky this morning.  Must be some visiting juveniles out for a sky cruise.  I said that Bold has been so quiet lately and he said- just wait- there will be lots of noise if they have babies and that is for SURE!  It would be fun to have bothersome babies around again.  They are quite the ticket for enjoyment, if you are raven fan.  Only time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. This is a second try at commenting as my cat just walked across the keyboard and deleted what I had written. Arg.

    I was interested in you talking about raven babies because I realize I don't think of them when they're babies. They always seem so somber and old-soulish that I don't picture them young and raucous. Unlike crows who seem young and raucous even when they're old and grey. I'll be watching the ravens here closer this year to see if I can spot the families.

    Love that there's someone else who enjoys them so much too. So look forward to your writings. (No pressure.) :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. The babies are so LOUD that last year everyone on the hill was commenting- what is wrong with the ravens- they didn't realize it was the babies following the parents around and demanding FOOD NOW. It is quite a kick, to me anyway. Watch the raven pair and you will see babies eventually. Andree

    ReplyDelete