Monday, April 5, 2010

The Stealth Raven

It has been raining for a week now with periodic weak sunshine.  The temperature has been 38 degrees in the mornings.  The ravens do not like rain and I am getting tired of it myself. The ravens stay holed up somewhere on rainy days and I rarely see them when it is raining.  When I do see them they look very dispirited and glum.  I have been putting food out every day and it disappears but I have not seen them pick it up.  This morning it was not raining so I decided to try and see if the ravens would come to get hard boiled Easter eggs.  I put out a yellow egg on the railing and the next time I looked, it was gone.  So I put out another yellow egg.  I was putting dishes in the dishwasher and when I turned around the second egg was gone!  I did not see who or what got it.  So I put out a red egg- turned my back to look at something, looked around and it was gone!  I went outside and looked for raven.  Usually they take the eggs to particular spots to eat them- nobody there.  I think I have a stealth raven.  So I put out another red egg and I am going to watch this one to see who comes and gets it.

I have not seen the raven pair together for one week.  I wonder if they are nesting now.  This is the time of year for raven nesting here in Napa.  I hope it is so.  The baby birds are so loud and boisterous and I enjoy their antics.

Well since it is not raining, it is time to go out and feed the quail and the goldfinches.  Goldfinches are named appropriately since their niger seed food is now about the price of gold!  Meanwhile I will be diligently watching the red egg for stealth raven!

3 comments:

  1. I was just outside when I heard the whuff whuff whuff sound and looked up to see a raven flying over me. I'm always amazed by the sound of their wings.

    I've been seeing them fly past with small things in their claws. it doesn't look like nest building material and I'm always hopeful they've caught one of the millions of mice around. Too early here for baby birds which I've seen, including the year they took the baby robins out of the nest on the back of my house. I try to remember it's part of nature and all that but that year I was mad at them for quite a while. Something tells me this didn't upset them a whole lot. They're a bit like cats, aren't they. Somber and solemn and most of the time happy to sit quietly and look around. So unlike crows. There's a raucous family of them at the beach and last summer you'd liable to be swimming and look back to shore to find they'd gotten into the chips, or one time one was happily goign through mjy bag looking for treasures.

    As you can see I do love both of these black birds and your site touches a chord in me. Hope all is well with your raven couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see you do appreciate these great black birds! I do not have any crows up here but do pay attention to them when I see them and would like more time to observe them. I do love the sound of the raven wings also and always enjoy seeing them fly overhead. Hoping for better weather so that I can hang out the raven pair.
    Andree

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant hang out with the raven pair- not hang them out! As if I could catch them! I don't think I would like to tangle with that very large raven beak!

    ReplyDelete