Monday, October 26, 2009

Cacophony of Ravens!

Wow- this morning I woke up to a cacophony of ravens!  There were raven sounds all around.  I went outside at first light to see what was going on.  I could see and hear ravens calling and wings beating from all directions.  There were shrill calls and deep resonating sounds.  It sounded like the resident pair were telling the juveniles- time to GET UP and Clear OUT!  And then it was quiet with only the sound of the hummingbird at the feeder with its wings beating a mile a minute.  What a wonderful early morning experience!

Yesterday morning I was trying to sleep in after a night of frivolity with friends and a bottle of cranberry vodka made by a good friend of mine- ( Mumms' pink champagne/cranberry vodka and a lime slice-wow-only one drink please)!  I hear this tap-tap-tap on my window.  I looked out and Bold had managed to land on the small window ledge and was tapping on the glass with his beak!!!  Get up you lazy human and get me some food now!  Bold or is Edgar Allen?- was in luck as we had some left over snacks from the night before that had not been put away properly- he enjoyed ramaki- remember those from the 1960's, chicken livers wrapped in bacon?  I took them off the cocktail skewers and put them on the deck rail.  He tried to cram as many of them into his beak as possible.  He kept putting some down of the treats and rearranging them in his beak to pack more in.  He got all but one- couldn't quite get them all and then flew off.  Iwonder if he shared with Shy?  Later in the day my husband was practicing his banjo in the garage and the raven pair were in the tree watching him.  They really are such nosey birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment