Friday, October 9, 2009

Shy Raven Makes A Move

October 9, 2009

The ravens arrived per usual the morning of October 8th at 7:30 AM.  I went downstairs and put the two eggs out on the deck.  For some reason Bold raven flew off making a lot of noise.  I watched Shy raven for awhile.  Shy was sitting in the redwood tree and then she came down to the deck railing and began inspecting the eggs.  The raven jumped around awhile and finally grabbed one in its beak and flew off!  WOW- Shy can do it! 

This morning I heard the raven sounds so I went down and put the two eggs out.  When I looked in the redwood tree there was only one raven present.  It was Shy who came down and grabbed an egg and flew off.  I wonder where Bold Raven is this morning?  I put out some dry dog food and the jays were down in a minute to get some.  I observed that they also jump forward and back when inspecting new food just like the ravens do.  They are greedy also, stuffing as many pieces of dry dog food into their beaks as possible before flying off.  This saves energy and trips back and forth I suppose.  Conservation of energy.

1 comment:

  1. Good thing the Jays like dry dog food, because King Lucky has become too spoiled. He eats wet food, lunchmeat, turkey sausage and anything from McDonald's. :-)

    Glad shy raven has gotten up the nerve to grab an egg.... pretty soon you will be video taping shy raven dancing on the dining room table for treats and putting it on youtube!

    ReplyDelete