Thursday, October 29, 2009

What a BIG beak you have!

Yesterday dawned cold and very windy.  The ravens were quietly sitting in the redwood trees when I got up.  They looked disgruntled and their feathers were being blown in every direction by the wind.  I put out the two eggs and some dry dog food and jumped back into the house where it was warm.  They were back after they had eaten their eggs.  Their favorite place to eat eggs is up on the path to the woods.  There is quite a collection of eggs shells on the ground there.  They looked so forlorn upon their return to the deck that I decided to give them a piece of leftover chicken.  I put the chicken piece out on the deck and Bold came down from the tree to check it out.  I stood on the deck very near him about 4 feet away so that I could watch his antics.  He would jump forward and look at the piece of meat, then jump back, cock his head and look at it as if to see if it was alive- then jump forward again and back until he finally snagged it and flew off.  While all this was going on I had the opportunity to observe his beak and feet at close quarters.  Bold has a mighty big beak and large feet- remember that old childhood rhyme- You're a poet and you show it, your feet are Longfellows?- Bold raven qualifies-  he is a poet!

Later that morning I went out to do some minor work around the property.  The wind was blowing and it was cold.  Both ravens however sat in the tree overhead watching everything that I was doing.  They really are very curious birds and of course there is always the possibility that this human will go upstairs and put out some new snack for their enjoyment!

No comments:

Post a Comment