Friday, October 16, 2009

The rain has come

October 17, 2009

The rain came on October 14th, right on time.  It usually rains in Napa by October 15th each year.  The ravens really do not like rain.  They did not appear the morning of October 14th because it was raining so hard- the worst storm since 1962.  I left October 14th and returned on the 15th late in the afternoon.  The rain had stopped and as I drove up the driveway the ravens were overhead following me up the driveway.  They were happy? to see me.  They made alot of noise and jumped around in the redwood trees.  I hurried on into the house and got them 2 eggs- they were on those in a NY minute!  They came as usual on the morning of October 16th and got their eggs.  I was working around the house most of the day and they hung around observing my comings and goings and commenting.  Really they are the most nosey of birds.  We noticed alot of ravens flying into our little valley as dusk approached.  I think we are going to have a raven tree like we had last year.  Last year a large group of juveniles flew in each evening and roosted in a very large redwood tree.  Once they all get into the tree, they quiet down and you would not know there was a bird around anywhere.  Then at first light in the morning they would all fly out of the tree in all different directions.  It is a magnificent sight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment