Thursday, October 22, 2009

Soaring and Canoodling

Early this morning I looked out toward the Napa Valley and beyond and saw the ravens soaring in the sky.  Sometimes it seems they just like to fly and soar and do barrel rolls- which is a most impressive sight.  I think ravens just like to have fun!  I saw a special on ravens on PBS that showed them sliding down a snowy hillside just for the fun of it!  We don't have snow very often here so they take to the skies for fun.  I could see them soaring and called to them- RAVEN- and before long they arrived in the redwood tree.  Sound carries very far up here.  Sometimes we can hear the whistle of the wine train- which is a long way off.

I had put their two eggs out already but they did not come right down to get them.  Instead they were up in the tree- preening each others feathers and canoodling- is that a word?  They were holding each others beaks and preening each others neck feathers and making soft little sounds.  Seems like canoodling to me.  It is very special to watch another species behave in such a loving manner. 

My friend Rita had a suggestion for Halloween-  I should call the ravens Edgar Allen and his partner Nevermore- clever- don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. Awwww.... this is a great post. I wish I was spending my days soaring in the sky - just for the fun of it!

    ReplyDelete